Lord & Taylor unveiled its 80th annual world-famous holiday windows to New York last night, Thursday, November 9, with a glorious event in collaboration with Hallmark Channel and Madison Square Boys & Girls Club.
The Lord & Taylor holiday windows are considered a gift to the city as the retailer never includes commercial products in its animated displays on Fifth Avenue. The windows are created by a team of nearly 75 craftsmen, artists and engineers who have spent more than 35,000 hours refining every detail. In the days leading up to the unveiling, the vignettes are raised into the street-level windows on hydraulics—a unique feature of the 103-year-old landmarked building.
The Fifth Avenue windows have been transformed into a whimsical journey, as seen through the lens of enchanted snow globes, featuring over 60 variations throughout the display. Each of the five animated windows boasts a unique scene, including:
- Arctic Adventures: Two polar bears meet for a celebratory high-five in an arctic scene
- Christmas in the City: Starry holiday scene set against NYC skyscrapers
- Holiday Circus: A vintage-style circus is conducted by the master of ceremonies
- Santa’s Magic: A modern-day Santa looks into his globe
- Winter Woodlands: A rabbit ventures toward a magical tree with woodland creatures
“New York is a special place to be during the holiday season and experiencing the magic within our iconic department store is a part of that tradition,” said Liz Rodbell, President of Lord & Taylor. Following a performance by American country pop singer-songwriter Jessie James Decker, Lord & Taylor President Liz Rodbell joined the stage for the much-anticipated window reveal. Together, they introduced this year’s magnificent window theme of ‘The Best And The Brightest’ to an excited crowd.